Monday, September 01, 2014

Strawberry Lemon Cake

This was originally a muffin recipe but i prefer it as a cake.


 I don't make a lot of cakes, i prefer to make biscuits, cookies or slices, and as i'm the one who bakes i get to choose.







Strawberry Lemon Cake

115g Butter
1/4 cup Sugar
2 Eggs
1 cup Yoghurt [i use Greek]
250g Strawberries
1 lemon- juice and zest
2 1/2 cups Self Raising Flour
Cinnamon and Sugar mix to sprinkle on top

Beat sugar and butter till light, add egg, yoghurt and fruit and lemon.
Fold in Flour.
For muffins- makes 12 cook 160 Celsius for 15 to 20 mins
For a cake- cook 160 Celsius for 25 mins or until cooked
Grease and line your tin, spoon in mix and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mix.

You can use as much or as little fruit as you have. I used frozen strawberries and raspberries [defrosted] in mine and i think it was about 320g so only used 1 egg as they are a lot more juicy. Used two 6 inch tins, one round and one square.

Freezes nicely as either a cake or as single muffins to pop into the lunch box.
You can use Strawberries, Raspberries, Blackberries, Boysenberries, Loganberries, Cranberries, Mulberries and Red or Black Currents.

Great served with warm custard, cream or a berry compote. We like to warm the cake in the microwave the next day as it eats better warm or maybe thats just me.



Tip:
My butter is always cold out of the fridge so when baking i grate the butter into my bowl, so it softens up a bit. If it's still too hard i will put it in the microwave, bowl and all for about 20 seconds. 


Wake up Wednesday #32

4 comments:

Chris said...

That looks really delicious. Bet it tasted good too! Enjoy the spoils from your kitchen. :)

Anne said...

Yum it look delicious!
I was looking back on your post what fruit trees do you have?
What have you found that grows well up here in the mountains I'm a bit further up the hill than you;) I have 2 apple trees a pear with another pear grafted on to it so the pollinate each other and a cherry. I would like to plant a plum, peach and apricot. I also have a lemon mandarin and orange but there not doing too well it's a bit cold windy for them I think!

Nanna Chel said...

Nicole, I try not to bake too much as then I eat too much! LOL! It is too tempting.

Nicole and Andrew said...

i dont buy biscuits or cakes so i back a few times a week,
I know what you mean Nanna Chel it is very tempting but i find if its in the cupboard and i dont see it then i forget its there.

Anne, citrus like an acidic soil and lots of chicken poo. i am covered as we have a huge pine tree and chooks.