Thursday, August 28, 2014

Sewing Know How

Once learning to sew was taught to children either at home or at school, now its does not seem that people think its a necessary skill to learn. Every thing is cheap to buy and easy to throw away. 
It makes me sad that we have created such a disposable society.


Why should you learn to sew? Well if you can sew then decorating your home or clothing your family becomes something you can be proud of, not to mention all the beautiful gifts you can make.
Rest assured that anything you make will last at least 10 times longer than a cheaply bought item. Sewing can also save you money.

That's my trusty old sewing machine above, she's a Janome My Style 30, a gift from my husband and father in law for Christmas, i think it was 1989. She has only had one service and that was last year, she just keeps going and going.





Sewing isn't just limited to a machine, hand sewing is needed when darning socks. In the above picture you can see my timber sock darner. Why darn socks when they are so cheap, why not darn your socks and give them a longer life span especially if they are hand knitted or crocheted.



If you can sew a straight line then you can pretty much make just about anything you set your mind to.
Above is a shopping tote or beach bag or even a baby bag and its all straight lines.


Zippers, people are so afraid to put in a zipper they just seem too hard or scary, well they are not. As long as you have a zipper foot on your sewing machine its all straight lines and easy. Above is a cute zippered pouch or a pencil case. There are plenty of you tube videos to help you out with step by step videos.


For something as simple as a skirt, again all straight lines. Below two nighties, for you or for a child, its still all straight lines. By starting out with simple patterns, making clothes is a breeze.


For this simple babies blanket i took 1 metre of flannelette and rounded the corners using a bread and butter plate. Adding a curve to something as simple as a blanket gives it a little more interest, it may not be a straight line but it is just as easy.


Step it up a little more with tighter curves, just remember to clip it close to your stitching so the curves are nice and smooth. As you can see below with the fruit monster the arms are a nice curve.  


Patch work is also something that is simple, again the pillow above is all straight lines.
This pumpkin guy with his curved corners and rounded arms and legs.


For something a little harder this cloth doll with lots of curves, how ever the dress, apron and pantaloons are all straight lines.


This is just a very small list of items you can make, the list is endless. Like most things start with the easy and work you way up, you will be surprised at what you can make.
You can make throw pillows for your couch and curtains for your windows and give your family room a new look. 
Repair rips, tears and holes in clothing the give them a longer life. Take up a pair of jeans or pants that are too long.
Give old sheets and towels a new life by making bath mats, dish towels, table cloths, napkins, place mats, aprons and even a skirt, top or Pj's. Toys, baby blankets, nappies and bibs all make great gifts.
You can re-purpose things you already have, visit the second hand store or buy new. Sewing can be as expensive or inexpensive as your budget allows.

Sewing is definitely a skill every one should have, even if its just to sew on a button or fix a rip in a skirt.


11 comments:

Nanna Chel said...

There are lots of lovely handmade items there, Nicole. I bought my little granddaughters a sewing machine a while back in the hope that they would start sewing from a very young age. It is sad that sewing is no longer taught in most schools these days.

Finding Joy said...

You have made some lovely handmade items. I sew so I can make the clothes I like that I can't find in the stores using my favourite fabrics. I have just started quilting so I can make gifts for others. Sewing is very relaxing. You should pop over to visit my blog on Monday, my 10 year old guest writer is showing off her sewing.

Anonymous said...

This is a great post and I love all the projects you have done. I am a beginner sewer and received a sewing machine for my birthday. I managed to sew a patch on my son's school trousers. Like you say, its really not that hard at all. I always thought threading up a sewing machine required an engineering degree, but its a piece of cake! Now i just need to find the time to do all these wonderful projects :)

Unknown said...

I agree whole-heartedly that learning to sew is a skill that all needs to know. Love what you are doing on your site; keep it up! Carrie, A Mother's Shadow

Anonymous said...

I learned the basics of sewing from my Grandmother. It wasn't until I had my daughter that I really developed my love of sewing. And now that she's 13, thankfully, she loves to sew too.
I am also thankful that the school she goes to still has Home Ec classes, that include sewing. Hurray for country schools! :)

Unknown said...

These are very cute projects. I enjoy some sewing myself, although not as good as all of these. Nice pictures.

Stone Cottage Adventures said...

What a GREAT post! I'd like to feature it tomorrow at Tuesdays with a Twist! Not long ago, I wrote a post about why I sew. We have a lot in common! ;-) -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

Chris said...

I meant to comment on this earlier. Reading your post made me nostalgic for my craft room. It's currently shared with the baby's cot because its the bedroom right next to ours.

I've tried sewing in there, but its kind of like working with a Jumanji set, hoping something doesn't topple down when attempting to get something else. ;)

One day I will return to it, but not for a few years yet. I still hand sew buttons and do my best to repair clothes, but using my machines are out of the question!

Nice post. I would have been right in my sewing room after reading it, if I could have, lol. ;)

Leslie said...

Great post...unfortunately, I'm not the best seamstress. I agree, it would be awesome if everyone could sew...itd make for some efficient folks! thanks for sharing on What You Wish Wednesday!

Nicole and Andrew said...


thanks every one for stopping by :o)

you dont have to be great at something if you enjoy doing it,the more you do the better you get. im not an excellent sewer but i am learning all the time, you can never know enough.Its just all straight lines.

Terry said...

Sewing is a wonderful skill. I hate mending, but I do like to quilt, make wall hangings, placemats etc. We did learn to sew in school when I was growing up and I remember my Mom making clothes all of the time.