Thursday, August 14, 2014

Roast Pumpkin Soup

We have had a couple of cold days so i thought i would make some pumpkin soup. 
This is not my usual pumpkin soup recipe. I dried all my garlic a couple of months ago therefore i didn't have any fresh to roast so thought id try a different recipe, and i have to say i like it a whole lot better than my old Pumpkin Soup recipe.



Pumpkin Soup

Freezes Great
I like to use Jap or butternut pumpkin, you can use a 2kg to 3kg pumpkin anything bigger you will need to double your spice mix.

2kg Pumpkin
2 large Potatoes
2 Carrots
1 Onion

Peel and roast all of the above leave the onion whole and chop up the other veg, drizzle a little olive oil. Cut your potatoes smaller as they take the longest to cook. Roast about 40 mins to an hour 180 Celsius or 360 Fahrenheit. I do mine a little longer because i like it when the pumpkin starts to get black bits around the edges = more flavour.

1/2 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp Ginger
Salt and Pepper
4 to 6 cups Vegetable Stock
Greek Yoghurt

To a bench top blender add vegetables and stock a little at a time until well blended and smooth.
Pour into a large stock pot and add the spices. Depending on how thick you like your soup you can add more stock or water. I like a thicker soup so it sticks to your bread.
Cook on low for about 15 to 20 minutes.
Serve with a dollop of greek yoghurt or sour cream.
Of course you will also be wanting some Crusty Bread to accompany your delicious soup.

Freezes great, if you use those reseal bags they can be frozen flat and it is heaps quicker to defrost and saves on freezer space.
When reheating from frozen you may want to add a little water.
You can bake the vegetables up to 3 days before you make the soup.
A roast dinner on Sunday add in your extra vegetables and soup on Monday or Tuesday, too easy.

6 comments:

Nanna Chel said...

I have a pumpkin which I plan to use to make soup so I will give this recipe a try. It sounds a bit different from mine. It is certainly soup weather again here after lots of warm days. I am freezing at the moment.

Unknown said...

Oh sounds interesting! I love the recipe for this pumpkin soup and will give it a try!

Nicole and Andrew said...

i love to hear what you think of the recipe :o)

Meggie said...

Our autumn is just around the corner....I'll save this recipe. Great idea to freeze flat.

Stasia said...

this looks so delicious and makes me excited for fall! :)

Leslie said...

Looks incredible!! Something tasty for the fall for sure. Thanks for sharing with WYWW!! Please link-up on Wednesday!