a handful of this
plus a few of these
Rhubarb from the garden & few green apples from the tree makes a wonderful Apple & Rhubarb Pie with some home made Custard.
i stewed the Apples & Rhubarb separate, then mixed them together & poured it into the pie crust.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup thickened cream
- 1 vanilla bean or 1tsp Vanilla
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- Combine milk and cream in a small pot & add vanilla [if using vanilla bean split bean lengthways & scrape seeds into milk & drop in the bean]
- Cook slowly on medium heat until hot but not boiling.
- Whisk egg yolks, cornflour and sugar in a glass bowl.
- Remove vanilla beans from milk mixture.
- Pour hot milk mixture over egg yolk mixture & whisk
- Pour into a medium pot & cook on low, stirring constantly for about 10 mins or until thick & will coat the back of a spoon.
- Do not allow custard to boil, as it might curdle.
i hate it when you have a recipe that calls for either just the whites or just the yolks. when this happens i always have a companion recipe to use the left over egg. in this case it is Meringue/ Pavlova. i will post that recipe tomorrow.